American Assassin by Vince Flynn

American Assassin by Vince Flynn


4.24  ·  Rating details ·  51,351 Ratings  ·  2,540 Reviews 
Mitch Rapp is a gifted college athlete who just wants retribution for the Pan Am Lockerbie attack. He trains six months intensely with other clandestine operatives, under CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield and protégé Irene Kennedy, to stop terrorists before they reach America. The assassin leaves a trail of bodies from Istanbul across Europe to Beirut, where he needs every ounce of skill and cunning to survive the war-ravaged city and its deadly terrorist factions.
American Assassin by Vince Flynn download or read it online for free
American Assassin
by Vince Flynn
Before he was considered a CIA superagent, before he was thought of as a terrorist’s
worst nightmare, and before he was both loathed and admired by the politicians on
Capitol Hill, Mitch Rapp was a gifted college athlete without a care in the world . . .
and then tragedy struck.

Two decades of cutthroat, partisan politics has left the CIA and the country in an
increasingly vulnerable position. Cold War veteran and CIA Operations Director
Thomas Stansfield knows he must prepare his people for the next war. The rise of
Islamic terrorism is coming, and it needs to be met abroad before it reaches America’s
shores. Stansfield directs his protÉgÉe, Irene Kennedy, and his old Cold War colleague,
Stan Hurley, to form a new group of clandestine operatives who will work outside the
normal chain of command-men who do not exist.

What type of man is willing to kill for his country without putting on a uniform?  Kennedy finds him in the wake of the Pan Am Lockerbie terrorist attack. Two-hundred and seventy souls perished that cold December night, and thousands of family and friends were left searching for comfort. Mitch Rapp was one of them, but he was not interested in comfort. He wanted retribution.

Six months of intense training has prepared him to bring the war to the enemy’s doorstep, and he does so with brutal efficiency. Rapp starts in Istanbul, where he assassinates the Turkish arms dealer who sold the explosives used in the Pan Am attack. Rapp then moves onto Hamburg with his team and across Europe, leaving a trail of bodies. All roads lead to Beirut, though, and what Rapp doesn’t know is that the enemy is aware of his existence and has prepared a trap. The hunter is about to become the hunted, and Rapp will need every ounce of skill and cunning if he is to survive the war-ravaged city and its various terrorist factions.

As action-packed, fast-paced, and brutally realistic as it gets, Flynn’s latest page-turner shows readers how it all began. Behind the steely gaze of the nation’s ultimate hero is a young man primed to become an American Assassin.  


Reviews


Some people are addicted to drugs. I am happily addicted to Vince Flynn's books and the exploits of his truly American hero, Mitch Rapp. 
My wife and daughter share my addiction, but they have not had their fix yet because I got to read Flynn's newest book first. Which is only fair since I bought it. My only complaint is that now I will have to wait another year for the next book. Withdrawal can be tough.

Oh, about the book? C'mon, it's Vince Flynn and Mitch Rapp. This one is about how Mitch got his start in the assassin business before he became the star player in the war on terror and before there was an official war on terror. It is set before 9-11 when some in the clandestine services discerned radical Islamic terror clouds approaching and were trying to prepare for it (remember this is fiction). The result was...Mitch Rapp whose name Islamofacists use to frighten their children with into good behavior when they are not strapping suicide vests on them to kill innocent men women and children.

If they ever make a movie based on a Vince Flynn book, this is one I would vote for. That is as long as they were faithful to the book. Otherwise they might tick Vince and Mitch off.
*********************************************************************************

This was exceptional with one disclaimer... it was obviously rushed to publishing with little editing.  
While waiting for my copy to arrive I read that other fans had noticed more than the occasional typos in the text and were bothered by them. I wondered if perhaps they were being a little over the top. Unfortunately, I found myself equally bothered. It is understandable that sometimes a "i" will be replaced with an "l" (as in the word "cabbie" being written as "cabble" in the last portion of the book) but in one area an entire name was substituted with the name of a different primary character who was most certainly not present in the room - this kind of error attacked the rhythm and flow of the book and distracted me on too many occasions. It is a shame that such a great story was marred by so many glaring errors.

I saw the interview with Vince Flynn after the release of the book and remembered him saying that in this prequel even he "learned things about Mitch Rapp" that he did not previously know. I was struck, while reading, about how true that is. Rapp is a great character who has always been easy to root for. This book only furthers my affection for him and my desire to know him more.

The end of the book left a number of things teased or unanswered leaving me wondering if there are more prequels to come.

Without question I enjoyed the story, was angry and unnerved by the realistic implications of the plot and my gratitude for real American Black Ops was furthered. While reading this I cannot help but think of Winston Churchill's famous quote: "never was so much owed by so many to so few."

Between Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, The Unit and 24, I do hope that our culture will embrace the ugly reality that the face of war has changed and what we hold most dear is not nearly as safe as we would hope.
**********************************************************************************

In a world where every second person is a self-proclaimed writer, present company included, it's easy to forget why the brand-name authors are still keeping the mainstream publishing model alive. Because they are good. Let me rephrase that, they are damn good. 
And Vince Flynn was a case in point. Admittedly, Mr. Flynn's flavor of military thrillers is a genre I have opted to watch at the movies when little brain activity on my part is required. I prefer to read mysteries, intelligent espionage, and thrillers with an international twist.

This is an excellent book, and Mr. Flynn was an exceptionally gifted writer. Any preconceived notions I may have harbored about this type of book were squarely laid to rest. This is intelligent, exciting and satisfying writing. American Assassin is the prequel to the highly popular Mitch Rapp series. Mitch Rapp is an American assassin working by proxy for the CIA to do the dirty work that needs to be done. Before this installment, I believe there were at least thirteen or twelve books in the series, but American Assassin goes back to explore how Mitch Rapp became an assassin in the first place. It's explosive, and if you're new to the franchise, it's the best place to start.

This book has healthy doses of action, drama, intrigue, and even some steamy scenes. And the dialogue is a study-aide for any writer still learning the trade. But most of all, what I particularly liked about this book is that Mr. Flynn was one of the few writers of this genre who has a clear intellectual perspective. And in this case, he is has very strong views on the dangers of radical Islamic Jihad on the global level. I am yet to read more of his books, and I plan to. But I get the feeling that as with this one, his other books will not be steeped in gratuitous bang-bang, or the literary equivalent of a bad Bruce Willis flick, but will tie-in to a more profound intellectual paradigm that does double duty of entertaining and also prodding you to think.
**********************************************************************************

Ok, how in the world have I missed this author, these characters, these books?! 
You know that feeling you get when you realize you found a new (to you) outstanding author and he/she has piles of books you have not yet read? I think I may have teared up a little, but if not an actual tear, I at least danced. At the risk of oversimplifying... this book rocked! It reminded me a bit of a Lee Child book where the main character is still affiliated with the military. Great characters, deep courage and non-stop action.

I cannot wait to read the next in this series!
**********************************************************************************

Although I don't think many people actually follow what I say, I have to retract the criticism I made of Flynn's last few books. Actually, I'm not going to retract them, because they were true--Flynn was letting his ideology get in the way of the storytelling. 
Rather, I will say that he's returned to the stuff that made his earlier work great--compelling characters, amazing story lines, and a breathtaking adventure that leaves you sorry when the book ends.

Flynn takes his hero, Mitch Rapp, back to the beginning, when he is a 23 year old who's just lost the love of his life to tragedy. Mitch's reasons for becoming who we know him to be--the American Assassin--are compelling and believable. There's also some interesting moral analysis between the idea of revenge and retribution. We also get to see other characters from the series younger, and, in the case of Thomas Stansfield, still alive.

If you like the Mitch Rapp series, you'll adore this book. If you've never read a Mitch Rapp novel, this is a terrific place to start.

Well done, Mr. Flynn.
**********************************************************************************

In a word, superb.

This is why I love reading thrillers - every now and again, you discover a new series, read the first one and make a decision halfway through that you're going to devour the rest of the author's work as fast as possible.

I'd been hearing things about this series for a couple of years but other commitments kept me away. I'm kicking myself - hard.

Flynn's writing is fluid, he keeps the words simple while providing enough information that lets the reader's imagination to fly. I'd compare the international tone of these to Robert Ludlum's novels, but that would be doing Flynn an injustice as he stands tall in his own right as an author in this particular sub-genre.

The 'do not disturb' sign will be well and truly on display in our household for the foreseeable future as I read the rest of the Mitch Rapp series!
*********************************************************************************

I am putting it out there in the first sentence; I think this is the best novel I have read this year. Yes, I am a big Mitch Rapp fan; I think anyone that has followed this blog knows I love the character as much as I enjoy some of the big names out there today. Vince Flynn just hits a grand slam as he uses American Assassin, a prequel, to explain for us in tremendous detail, what makes Mitch Rapp so Mitch Rapp. I loved every word of it!
Here is a piece from the inside jacket: ”Before he was considered a CIA superagent, before he was thought of as a terrorist’s worst nightmare, and before he was both loathed and admired by the politicians on Capitol Hill, Mitch Rapp was a gifted college athlete without a care in the world… and then tragedy struck.”
I, like many of you, have read the entire series and am a big fan. I have always been of the mind that a novel like this, a prequel explaining his mindset, would be awesome and I was right. Why does he do what he does, how did he come to make the decisions he has, what kind of training did he initially receive and where, how was he recruited, and what were his first assignments? The answers are all in this novel and the thoughts of the core group of people that surround the man himself: Irene Kennedy, Thomas Stanfield, Stan Hurley, and Lewis the psychologist. Incredible narrative by Vince Flynn, and I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is probably his best work to date. I feel that this is the BEST novel in this genre this year. There are a few more novels in this category coming out before Christmas but they better be point on to knock this incredible prequel off its perch in my mind.
American Assassin has an intensity that sets this novel apart from the rest. The conciseness of Flynn’s writing, the detail of the thoughts and the totality and depth of Rapp’s feelings, opinions, attitudes and inner most thoughts are all on display in this novel. I really don’t think that there is much left about Mitch Rapp and his young life to be discussed and have conjecture made. Vince Flynn delivers a total package for anyone that is a longtime fan or someone that is just catching on to the force of nature that is Mitch Rapp. Do I recommend this novel? No hesitation, yes go for it. This novel has a heartbeat and a rhythm that is rarely found in fiction today. Laid bare for all to read: the pain, the fractured life, the incredible mindset of a world class athlete turned into a raging killing machine, an American Assassin.
Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7959473-american-assassin

No comments:

Post a Comment