A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain

 A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain


A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain download or read online here
A Murder in Time
by Julie McElwain
Beautiful and brilliant, Kendra Donovan is a rising star at the FBI. Yet her path to professional success hits a speed bump during a disastrous raid where half her team is murdered, a mole in the FBI is uncovered and she herself is severely wounded. As soon as she recovers, she goes rogue and travels to England to assassinate the man responsible for the deaths of her teammates.
While fleeing from an unexpected assassin herself, Kendra escapes into a stairwell that promises sanctuary but when she stumbles out again, she is in the same place - Aldrich Castle - but in a different time: 1815, to be exact.

4.3 out of 5 stars (735 Reviews)
5 star
  54%
4 star
  30%
3 star
  8%
2 star
  4%
1 star
  4%

Mistaken for a lady's maid hired to help with weekend guests, Kendra is forced to quickly adapt to the time period until she can figure out how she got there; and, more importantly, how to get back home. However, after the body of a girl is found on the extensive grounds of the county estate, she starts to feel there's some purpose to her bizarre circumstances. Stripped of her twenty-first century tools, Kendra must use her wits alone in order to unmask a cunning madman.







Reviews


  • I’d like to start off my mentioning the whole concept of time-travel story. Sometimes it works in stories and sometimes it does not. In this story, it works and the author gives such a brilliant and believable description of Kendra being pulled through time. For me that was pretty intense. I could almost feel the physical pain she was going through.

I really dig the premise of an FBI Agent traveling through time and ending up working a case of a 19th century murder that turns into much more. You also meet some other great characters that race to help her solve the crimes. For starters, Rose, Rebecca, Molly, Alec and Duke Aldridge are about the best written supporting characters I have read in a good while. Most of all I was so fascinated with Kendra’s process in trying to solve these murders and some of the other characters thought process. I believe Kendra really brought that out in them and she really got them to think outside their 19th century minds.

The killings are graphic, there is profanity in this story. Quite a bit of it in the beginning actually. I’m not one for profanity but I understand the scenario the author was portraying. Intense situations cause people to react in all kinds of ways. For many, profanity is one of them. Even though the killings are graphic, this gives you a real sense of what the victims are going through, which makes the story all the more intense. I think that was brilliantly done and gives you a real understanding of that type of evil in the world.

I found this story to be atmospheric, packed with lots of action, high-energy situations and such intense and real emotions. I couldn’t put it down. I loved it and I hope there will be a sequel! I’ve rated this book four and a half stars.

  • I really enjoyed this, though, it was a bit rough around the edges. 
Much of the dialogue I found unbelievable, however, the story was so well developed that I can not give this less than 4 stars. I was completely engaged and did not see the end coming. If McElwain can polish up some of the smaller details & continue developing this story there's no reason the rest of this series can't be 5 star reads.

  • A Murder in Time is a bit of a mess, as far as rating it on a stellar representation of Georgian England's time period, the manner of speech and the distinct class and gender divisions. The promise of time travel, too, proved one simple shift, with Kendra the FBI agent finding herself in a duke's castle in 1815 rather than the one she began with today.

However, it's a bit of improbable fun - when there is time travel, anything goes! Kendra blows into the household in a lady's maid costume, gradually being demoted as she proves her uselessness in the household. The old Duke finds her intriguing, this woman who shakes hands and treats everyone the same, and as luck would have it, a corpse is discovered.

The suspense is thick, Kendra's twenty first century verbal blunders are funny - especially those that the author herself misplaced- and all in all, I enjoyed this light, somewhat loopy crime novel.

  • Ok, I really enjoyed this book. I think it's my mood and I needed a good murder mystery - something to keep me guessing which this definitely did.

There were some cheesy parts here and there, but nothing I couldn't get over or that in anyway ruined the story for me.. Overall I found myself wanting to read the story, wanting to know what happened and rooting for the good guys.

I liked the end and personally I hope Kendra decides to stay in the past. She has lots to look forward to if she does. If I were her, that's what I would do. Especially since she's being hunted in the present!

I look forward to the next book...

  • Not going to lie, this book sounded a little weird to me…..FBI agent time travels back to Regency England to solve grizzly murder? It doesn’t quite sound like a novel that really makes sense but oddly enough it worked out really well.

I wasn’t expecting to like this as much as I did. There were aspects of the novel that I wasn’t a fan of, but on the whole I was actively engaged in the mystery and invested in the characters.

I think the biggest thing that I struggled with was the relationship between Kendra and Alec….while not entirely unlikely, I didn’t feel like there was any sexual tension or anything besides suspicion between them.

I hoped that there would have been more build up between them and I don’t know, just a more believable romance. Sure there was attraction but the focus of the book was the murder investigation and I didn’t feel like Alec and Kendra had enough one on one time throughout the novel to constitute the attraction they both felt.

The other thing that was a little annoying was I felt like I was constantly being told or reminded about aspects of the story. For example, the author frequently reminded the reader about the social standing of the characters, the psychological profile of the killer, and the fact that Kendra didn’t belong in that time period. Sometimes I felt like this slowed the story down but on the whole I got used to the writing style and just accepted it. It wasn’t so bad that I didn’t want to keep reading, I just noted that it wasn’t necessary to the flow of the story.

I loved how the author mixed past and present when it came to the investigation. I loved seeing how Kendra profiled the killer….while it wasn’t necessarily a ‘new’ or ‘innovative’ profile, it was entertaining nevertheless. I loved how the murder mystery unraveled and I loved how there were multiple suspects up until the end.

While this book had a few rough edges, in the end it was still a great read! I love how the ending left the reader wondering what would happen next and I am excited to read the next installment.

It was such better than I expected it to be, the merging of the two time periods was well done and the time travel element wasn’t the only focus of the novel. At it’s heart its a good old fashion murder mystery/whodunnit. I look forward to seeing what happens to Kendra in the next book…..I’m just upset that I need to wait until April 2017 to find out what happens next!

  • This was a little slow going in the beginning but once it picked up it was so easy to get caught up in the story and the murder mystery. 
I really liked the blend of both Kendra's modern world of being a profiler and her "new" world in the nineteenth century where profiler had yet to be a term or idea.
It was neat to see how the author took on the role of women in the nineteenth century with the role of women in our world today. Throw in an English setting and castements and this really was a fun and engaging read with just a touch of romance.

“* A Top 10 Pick for April by LibraryReads * ”
- LibraryReads

“The story is difficult to put down, and Kendra's character is well written. The romance―which both parties try to avoid―is believable. And Kendra's decision at the end is believable, as well. This is a great choice for a book club or for anyone who enjoys a mystery with many suspects and some heart-rending scenes.”
- Examiner

“This first novel is absolutely captivating and will appeal to readers of fiction, mystery, and romance. Expect to stay engaged until the final page. Author, a sequel, please!”
- Library Journal (starred review)

“A vivid setting, interesting characters, sustained suspense, and even a hint of romance make this thriller hard to put down for long...A Murder in Time is a very enjoyable read that paints a vivid picture of how remarkably the world has changed over the past 200 years.”
- Mystery Scene Magazine

“There's nothing old-fashioned about Julie McElwain's daring debut Murder in Time. As FBI agent Kendra Donovan navigates crime scenes from two hundred years in the past, it's hard not to root for her ingenuity and bravado. Who needs DNA to catch a killer? McElwain offers a wickedly entertaining tale of two worlds, combining Jane Austen-worthy intrigue with Alias-style action. This smart book is sure to hook readers from any era.”
- Erica Wright

“The time-travel element is believable enough to keep us going, and the story is solidly constructed. Overall it’s an entertaining genre-bender with a clever gimmick. The ending pretty much cries out for a sequel, too.”
- Booklist

“Julie McElwain writes like an angel, but it is a devil she chases through the halls of time in this edge-of-the-seat thriller. I was instantly engaged. This is a taut thriller written by a pro. Every page holds a new twist. Prepare for a sleepless night when you pick up this beauty.”
- Carolyn Haines, author of Bone to be Wild

“Pitting the skills of a twenty-first century FBI agent against the evil of a nineteenth century English murderer, this novel is a brilliantly imaginative and riveting read.”
- S. D. Sykes, author of Plague Land

“It’s amusing to watch Kendra pit her 21st-century knowledge, without the equipment, against the limited resources of the early 19th century. The parts in the past are interesting, full of tension and, even for this long book, a page-turner.”
- Historical Novels Society

References:
1. www.ebookstoreal.blogspot.com
2. www.amazon.com
3. www.goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment