The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur


4.32  ·  Rating details ·  3,274 Ratings  ·  511 Reviews
The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur download or read it online for free
The Sun and Her Flowers
by Rupi Kaur
From Rupi Kaur, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of milk and honey, comes her long-awaited second collection of poetry. A vibrant and transcendent journey about growth and healing. Ancestry and honoring one’s roots. Expatriation and rising up to find a home within yourself.

Divided into five chapters and illustrated by Kaur, the sun and her flowers is a journey of wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming. A celebration of love in all its forms.

this is the recipe of life
said my mother
as she held me in her arms as i wept
think of those flowers you plant
in the garden each year
they will teach you
that people too
must wilt
fall
root
rise
in order to bloom

“you left
and i wanted you still
yet i deserved someone
who was willing to stay”

“despite knowing
they won’t be here for long
they still choose to live
their brightest lives - sunflowers”



 



Reviews


This long-awaited second collection of poetry by Rupi Kaur made waves; it was a ride brimming with of every kind of emotion imaginable. Divided into five chapters and illustrated by Kaur, the sun and her flowers is a vibrant and transcendent journey about growth and healing. Ancestry and honoring one’s roots. Expatriation and rising up to find a home within yourself.

Kaur's voice is as audacious and brave as ever. She nails to perfection the specific intimate details that made her writing so achingly real in milk and honey. We have poems exploring self-love, self-hate, body-image, girls supporting girls, motherly love, feminism, insecurity, sexual assault, and so much more. I read through it in a whirlwind. I barely put it down, and it was so short I didn't even have to.

The author's smart, poised, and down-to-earth writing oozes inspiration.
***********************************************************************************
4.5 Stars

Wow. Let me say I had low expectations going into this, but I was so wrong. Backstory: I'm not a fan of milk & honey. It's not a style I enjoy at all, and the entire book just felt too Tumblr and cheesy and simplistic. this blew me away. it's so different, fresh, and jaw-dropping.

it’s interesting to see how her writing has grown and evolved. there are very few short poems (unlike m&h), which i was thankful for, because in m&h it seemed like she would just write sentences with skips in it, then label them poetry, and i really hated that style. however, this utilized a lot of longer poems and metaphor and personification of nature, and although it’s still not my favorite style, it’s gotten so much better.

This book was just so much more personal. m&h felt like a ton of blanket statements and tumblr posts, but this one had quotes that actually made me sit back and go “whoa.”

“i even tried to bury myself alive
but the dirt recoiled
you have already rotted it said
there is nothing left for me to do
- self-hate”

AMAZING.

This book adds on an entire section about immigration and refugees, and I thought it was new and powerful as opposed to only talking about feminism, the body, and self-love. also, brown girls NEED to pick up this book. there is so much positivity and messages about acceptance of your skin.

i will say, if you decide to pick this up, don't give up hope until you reach part 2. The whole first part seems like it was a step back from milk & honey? milk and honey was so feminist and focused on recovery and self-love and some of the poems in the first part were like “TELL ME I’M PRETTY I NEED VALIDATION” and stuff like that and I was like ??????? It started out really weak but definitely got better.

Lastly, another thing I wasn’t a huge fan of is none of her poems use punctuation. She had some longer poems unlike anything she had in m&h, but most of those just employed really long-winded run-on sentences and I wasn’t a huge fan of that style. Because of that, it was hard to tell sometimes when one poem ended and another begun because none were punctuated, some didn’t have titles, some were just one sentence, etc.

Regardless, I'm sorta speechless because I expected to hate this and I actually enjoyed it so much. Several of the poems gave me chills. If you gave up hope after milk & honey, definitely think about trying this from a library or something because it is a MAJOR improvement and I think its messages are valuable, and nothing about this feels like a regurgitation of a Tumblr post.
***********************************************************************************
[4.5 ⭐️]

Rupi Kaur does it once again. Her poetry is blooming. Her words hit home as they always do. I mean, there's a reason why there's a surge in poetry books being sold now. She's the reason.

I love what she advocates in her poetry collections, what she stands for. How it is told in a format of stages, of growth. Following on from her previous collection (not that it is a sequel, but the format and themes are similar), the sun and her flowers is tackling the root of our own emotions and suffering, to taking it in and accepting the people around us, our ancestors and our heritage, our immigrant parents, to ultimately establishing self-love. Yes, you do come first. You are important. I feel like it's a mantra in her poetry and I love that. It's beyond empowering!

As per her usual style, the poems are direct, simple, easy to grasp and full of passion. There are underlying layers and raw thoughts and emotions beneath those words that have me wanting to savour it, reread it. Annotate the whole book and find my own meaning within it. The illustrations truly make it come to life and paint a vivid picture and emotion inside you.

I can't wait to see what else she has in store! I know I can read her work over and over again!
***********************************************************************************
The Sun and Her Flowers is my anticipated poetry book this year by the one and only Rupi Kaur. Her poems are relatable and exceptionally written. This collection is divided into five chapters depending on the topic. There's love, relationships, racism, grief, refugees, empowering women etc. and my personal favorite is about self-love. It's straightforward and successfully stirred my emotions.

Here are my favorites in this collection:

we need more love
not from men
but ourselves
and each other

- medicine

-------------------------------------

you are a mirror
if you continue to starve yourself of love
you'll only meet people who'll starve you too
if you soak yourself in love
the universe will hand you those
who'll love you too

- a simple math
-------------------------------------

it felt like you threw me
so far from myself
i've been trying to find my way back ever since

-------------------------------------
.....let's find our own sun. grow our own flowers. the universe delivered us with the light and the seeds. we might not hear it at times but the music is always on. it just needs to be turned louder. for as long as there is breath in our lungs--we must keep dancing.

I love it. It is organized and has minimalistic illustrations. Just like milk & honey, I really enjoyed it and I shall look forward on her upcoming books.
***********************************************************************************
Rupi Kaur. You never cease to amaze me with the power of your simplicity and rawness. You speak for so many. 🌻
Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35606560-the-sun-and-her-flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment